WELCOME TO OUR FY21 HIGHLIGHTS
Our FUM is up 50% year on year
That’s an additional $2 billion moving away from unsustainable industries and organisations, and going towards changing the world for the better.
As Australians seek to make their money matter, we saw...
increase in net flows
of net flows
funds under management
Continuing excellent investment performance
As at 30 June 2021
- Australian Shares Fund delivered 43.1%1 (1yr return)
- Emerging Companies (Wholesale) Fund delivered 51.1%2 (1yr return)
- No.1 Australian Shares super option over 1, 3, 5, 7 and 10 years3
(SuperRatings Fund Crediting Survey - SR50 Australian Shares Index Funds)
- No.1 Balanced (MySuper) option over 3 years3
(SuperRatings Fund Crediting Survey - SR50 MySuper Index)
- Top 10 Super fund for 10 year performance (MySuper) - only retail fund4
We’re doing our bit for the climate
Nil investment in fossil fuel companies, nuclear, tobacco companies5
77% less CO2 produced by the companies we invest in, compared to benchmark6
13x more investment in renewable power generation than benchmark7
And for people, planet and animals
the impact on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)8
donated to the Australian Ethical Foundation9
companies we engaged with to understand & influence their positive & negative impact10
“The planets are aligning very quickly for Australian Ethical with societal, political and economic tailwinds pointing to a business case for ethical investing that is impossible to ignore.”
- John McMurdo, CEO
We’re a global leader
In FY21, we were recognised by Morningstar as “one of just six global leaders for our commitment to ESG.”11
Changing the world and winning awards
Awards we’ve won this year.
UN PRI Leaders Group for Climate Reporting
‘PRI Leaders Group 2020’ for excellence and advanced efforts in climate reporting
B Corps Best for the World
For Customers and Governance12
Money Magazine Best of the Best 2021
Best ESG Trailblazer
Financial Standard Leadership Awards
Australian Ethical Australian Shares Fund - Winner ESG Australian Equities 2021
Money Management Fund Manager of the Year 2021
Australian Ethical Australian Shares Fund - Winner Responsible Investments
Mozo People’s Choice 2021
Most Recommended – Superannuation
Finder Green Superannuation Fund of the Year 2021
For MySuper, MyChoice and Pension
SuperRatings Best performing SR50
Australian Shares option first over 5 years 2015-2020
Now onto 2022
Thank you to our customers, staff and shareholders for your support, generosity and believing in the vision. We’ve achieved good things in the last year, but we want to achieve even greater things in the next decade.
The time for changing the world for the better is here. Let’s do it.
1. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.
2. All financial results and metrics relate to year ended 30 June 2021 with comparatives relating to year ended 30 June 2020. Wholesale fund, after fees for the 1 year period ending 30 June 2021.
3. SuperRatings does not issue, sell, guarantee or underwrite this product. See the website for details of its ratings criteria. SuperRatings performance figure is net of percentage based administration and investment fees.
4. “…only one for-profit fund – Australian Ethical Super Balanced (MySuper) – made the top-10 list when performance was compared over the past decade.” AFR 19 July 2021, Source: Chant West
5. We don’t invest in companies whose main business is fossil fuels, or in diversified companies that earn some fossil fuel revenue and aren't creating positive impact with their other activities. We may invest in a diversified company which is having a positive impact in other ways such as producing renewable energy, providing its negative revenue is sufficiently low (a maximum of 5% to 33% depending on the activity). We have never invested in tobacco and support Tobacco Free Portfolios. For more information, visit our Ethical Criteria.
6. Carbon intensity (tonnes CO2e per $ revenue) of Australia Ethical share investments compared to blended benchmark of S&P ASX 200 Index (for Australian and NZ shareholdings) and MSCI World ex Australia Index (for international shareholdings). Shareholdings as at 30 June 2021.
7. Proportion of our share investments in renewable power generation compared to the blended benchmark. Shareholdings as at 30 June 2021.
8. Based on the ‘sustainable impact’ revenue earned by companies whose shares we invest in, compared to the blended benchmark. Shareholdings as at 30 June 2021.
9. 10% of AEI profits allocated to not-for-profit organisations (before deducting bonus and grant expense).
10. Total includes lending our voice to support others’ initiatives, engaging with companies directly (on our own or with others) and filing and voting on shareholder resolutions. Represents FY21 activity.
11. In November 2020, Morningstar named Australian Ethical as one of just six global leaders, out of 40 asset managers assessed for ESG commitment. Australian Ethical was the only Australian asset manager to achieve this rating. Based on the second assessment (May 2021), one further asset manager was added as a “leader”, who was an Australian asset manager. Inaugural ESG assessment: The Morningstar ESG Commitment Level: Our first assessment of 100-plus strategies and 40 asset managers, second assessment: The Morningstar ESG Commitment Level: Our second assessment of 140 strategies and 31 asset managers
12. B Corps ‘Best for the World Honouree’ Customer 2021 and Corps ‘Best for the World Honouree’ Governance. The Best for the World are B Corps whose score in the top 5% of all 3,500+ B Corps worldwide. This relates to the Australian Ethical entity, not the investment portfolio.