Australia is a global leader in the export of fossil fuels and livestock agriculture, so it’s important we shift domestic energy policies, energy creation and food supply towards cleaner solutions - while ensuring this process is equitable and empowering for all. We also need to ensure emissions from other important sectors, like transport and buildings, are rapidly reduced.
We’re seeking initiatives in the following areas:
- Adoption of new forms of energy production (eg. renewables, storage, community energy development)
- Sustainable food systems and land use (eg. reducing food waste + miles, increasing plant-rich diets and alternative proteins, protecting natural ecosystems*)
- Waste treatment (eg. recycling, methane digesters, waste-to-energy, composting)
- Adoption of alternative and new forms of transport (eg. EV's, bicycles, walkable cities, transport efficiencies)
- Enhancing material efficiencies and building sustainability (eg. smart buildings, reduction in HFC's, bioplastics, water management, clean cookstoves and biogas)
*See Supporting carbon sinks focus area for further information.